Buy Fresh, Buy Local News
your source for locally grown happenings
Home Grown School Lunch Week Toolkit
Posted: September 26, 2012
October 15-19, 2012
The Northeast Iowa Food & Fitness Initiative invites your school to participate in Home Grown School Lunch Week and will provide your school with resources and guidance. Learn how your school can participate.
Here are resources for schools to use as they plan for Home Grown School Lunch Week.
Finding Local Food
- Decide what food item you are interested in using for your event. Need ideas?
- Local watermelon or muskmelon slices
- Local veggies on your salad bar
- Local apples or grapes
- Build your own salad or wrap with local fixings
- Pumpkin bars using local squash or sweet potatoes
- Zucchini bread or muffins with local summer squash
- Shepherd's pie with local onions
- Roasted local sweet potatoes
- Massachusett's Farm to School Cookbook for Schools
- Iowa Farm-to-School Web site
- Wisconsin Homegrown Lunch
- Use this website to find producers near you. Click on Find Local Food tab.
- Ask your School Resource Contact (RC) for help connecting to the school food availability sheet.
Here are some resources for you to download and print: